Saturday, June 16, 2012

Today marks ONE YEAR living in South Florida! Really one year has gone by SO fast! I remember pulling up to our house here one year ago and just bursting out in tears. I remember sitting in the car feeding Hayden as everyone else started unloading the truck and just crying. I wondered what the heck I was doing in this strange, unfamiliar place and why did we have to leave somewhere we LOVED so much. I was scared. Scared of what life was going to be like. Scared we would hate it here. Scared of what Drew's schedule would be like and if he would like it. Scared my kids wouldn't find friends and wouldn't adjust. Scared! I was so grateful that mine and Drew's parents were there with us. They helped in so many ways. By the time they had all left a few days later, my house was completely unpacked, decorated, and clean and organized!
I can honestly say a year later that we really like it here in Florida. Life is good. The boys have adjusted, Drew's program is going well (of course there have been bad days, but for the most part it has been good and we have made it through the first year:) and we have made some great friends. Drew is busy, but the time he does have off, we make the most of it, and this is a great place to live to have fun. We do still miss our Old Kentucky home, and our friends, and our family, but I am grateful for this experience, and grateful to live in this part of the country. 

A few things we have learned over this last year about Florida:
-you really do wear shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops year round (a definite plus for me. Drew claims to miss the seasons, but I know he likes it too!)
Here the boys are when we went out looking at Christmas lights 3 days before Christmas wearing shorts and flops!
- You can always do something outside. Even when it rains it usually will rain for a few minutes, then the sun will come back out and be a beautiful day.
Here Tanner is learning to ride a bike in February

-We swim year round
Here we are swimming in December (notice the Christmas wreath on the fence)

-The best time to go to the park is November thur April.

-There are LOTS of bugs and critters and lizards! (a definite negative for me. I totally get creeped out, especially when I see a lizard in my house!)
This picture is of the tree in front of my kitchen window. I see these guys daily.

- There are lots of fun things to do here
 Disneyworld!

- Everything is more expensive here (rent, insurances, groceries) FYI don't register your car here if you don't have to, you may have to give an arm and a leg!


I am glad for this past year. For the things I have experienced and for all that I have learned!

Here are the boys 1 year ago
 And here they are one year later

7 comments:

Elder and Sister Steel said...

What a good post! You are amazing Michele! Your boys are so cute!

Elder and Sister Steel said...

The first comment was from Megan. This is from Gma Alice: I am so glad you are happy there and have survived the first year. I love your blog!

Richard and Carlie said...

Amazing!! I can't believe you really do wear shorts all year! It's kind of crazy to get through something and realize that we really can do hard things!!

Nate Sarah Cooper and Hank said...

how crazy is that! I am glad you are adjusting and I will be sure to plan a trip out there in the cold months here!

jos said...

We are so happy you are here!!! Tanners face a year ago is like a little boy he is such a big boy now! he has lost all of that baby squish

stefanie said...

Can't believe you've been there a year! Crazy! I'm glad you are loving it and all settled in . . . it's hard to leave good ol' Kentucky, but always an adventure :)
Miss you guys!

Brittany said...

I am SO HAPPY you moved here! We love you guys and are so glad we have you to play with! Also, I can't believe what a huge difference a year makes in your kiddos faces. They all look so grown up compared to last year.