Thursday, January 29, 2009

Crazy Wintery Weather!

We have had the craziest weather around here the last few days. It started off Monday night when we had a big snow storm come in. All the schools here were cancelled, including the Dental school. So then on Tuesday we had this crazy ICE STORM! It was the coolest, craziest thing. Well you can imagine the problems that come when everything is covered in a thick sheet of ice. So school was cancelled again on Wednesday, along with pretty much the whole city. Then on Wednesday we got more snow, so now everything is covered with a layer of snow, then a layer of ice, and then another layer of snow on top of that. School was cancelled again today, and also tomorrow!! What, four days off, that never happens. Right now there are over 200,000 people here who don't have power. Because of the weight on the trees from the ice, we have had a lot of power lines down. Luckily, we still have power.

Here are a few pictures we have taken over the last few days:
This Tree normally stands straight up
Thick sheet of ice covering all the cars 
Wednesday morning Drew went out to move our car because it was parked under a tree and we didn't wanted it falling on the car. This is what he brought in from off the car
Yes people it is a solid piece of ice measuring over 1/2 an inch thick!
A Branch Drew broke off the tree, they literally snap right off. Mason thought it was so cool. We now have a few of these in our freezer. Mason insisted that we keep them. I have no idea what for, but what can I say, he is a persistent thing!

11 comments:

Erin said...

BRRRR! That looks so cold! I can't even imagine it! Hope you guys are staying warm. Your V-day cards are so cute! I'm bummed because I just let Ellie pick hers out at Target yesterday. I want to order some from you next year for sure!

Alix Hart said...

That's some pretty crazy stuff, at least it makes for some beautiful pictures. Stay warm!

Princess Academy said...

Oh my word --crazy BUT I would be so excited to have my hubby home --hopefully you guys keep your power CRAZY is a great word to describe it

The Steel's said...

Whoa, that is crazy! I saw that on the news last night. I am glad you guys still have power..YIKES!! I hope you can find some fun things to do while you are all home!

Elder and Sister Steel said...

Wow and wow again! Did you get that generator yet?

Rach said...

That is the craziest thing i've ever seen. At least it's gotten you some time with Drew (and some cool pictures eh??)

loven it! said...

wow! those are amazing pictures. that is pretty cool!!

The Hansens said...

That looks crazy and so dangerous!

Megan said...

That is so crazy. Wow. I think those pictures are really cool. I can't believe that ice drew got off your car. That is some CRAZY weather. Fun that Drew was home though!

The Flitton's said...

I don't know about you - but I'm ready for the boys to get back to school and for a girls night!

Richard and Carlie said...

Wow! Those pictures are amazing! I felt so lucky to have power all week! Ok, I'm still working on getting a picture for the Valentine cards...Nothing like last minute huh? Sorry!